Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Our Great Teacher

Today we commemorate Teachers’ Day; a day set aside to show appreciation to those who have taught us and imparted more than knowledge to our lives. I remember one of my secondary school Mathematics teachers who motivated and encouraged me to excel in the subjects, both E Maths and A Maths. Not only that, he also entrusted me to be the monitor which I was not willing to take on. At that point in time, I was in a class that was notorious for being noisy and rowdy. Knowing myself, I wasn’t one who could keep ill-disciplined folks under control. However, my form teacher, who happened to be my Maths teacher, encouraged me along the way in the responsibility I had to undertake. That’s the power of a teacher: to lead, care and inspire his/her charges in the way they should go. Because of my teacher’s influence, I majored in Mathematics at a local university, and faring not too badly.

Now being a teacher myself and a teacher at heart, I have also tried to impart not just knowledge but important skill sets and values to my students. The influence that I have on their lives can only be seen and felt much later. It is heartening to note that ex-students do remember their teachers and some still do keep in touch even though they have left college many years ago. I met an ex-student on the MRT train while on my way to the Teachers’ Day Reception at the Istana just a few hours back. He has just started teaching Economics in another school and among other things we talked about Maths. The knowledge gained in his JC years were put to good use when he gave guidance to his current students. Another colleague of mine who attended the Reception as well also mentioned about an ex-student who kept in touch with her even when she’s overseas studying. Such is the power of a teacher’s influence! However, the influence can also be felt negatively by students if a teacher does not wield his/her authority in a fair and judicious way.

All of us grow up with significant others in our lives, whether parents, relatives or guardians whom we are close to. They are our teachers when we’re young and definitely, they wield an influence in our lives whether for good or bad. Likewise, when we grow up, we become parents, aunts, uncles or grand-relatives to young lives in our circle of influence. Let’s endeavour to make a positive influence over their lives by not only instructing but role-modelling good behaviours. Speaking of role-modelling, there’s a great teacher mentioned in the Bible who exemplified the way of humility for His disciples to follow. I am, of course, referring to the Lord Jesus Christ. He was called a rabbi (Jewish teacher) by His disciples (Mk 9:5; Mt 26:25). After washing His disciples’ feet, Jesus spoke to them thus, “If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.” (Jn 13:14 NASB).

The greatness of our teacher is seen in His perfect example of humility. As the Son of God, He chose to humble himself by taking the form of man to die for us at the cross of Calvary (Phil 2:5-8). Are we able to role-model for our children, grandchildren, students, nephews and nieces the important virtue of humility in a world that seeks to constantly put pride and ego on the pedestal? May God continue to teach and instruct us in the way that we should go especially in relation to our role as people of influence (Ps 32:8). Remember that the Holy Spirit residing in the believers, is also our teacher, who would bring to our remembrance the words of Jesus (Jn 14:26). Indeed, the Godhead is seen as a trinity of instructors, guiding our souls towards godliness and Christ-likeness.

To all teachers and those who are teachers at heart: Blessed Teachers’ Day!

No comments: